The Standard Chartered Spree Card gives shoppers up to 3% cashback on online transactions and 30% off vPost shipping fees.
Online shopping can be a giddily exciting affair. Just click on the items you want, proceed to the check-out page, pay up, and wait for your coveted purchases to arrive.
Many credit cards offer savings and discounts – whether through promo codes or rewards points – but few go all the way to save you money on your shipping and storage fees. Well, now there’s a credit card that does exactly that.
What can the Standard Chartered Spree Card do for you?
Standard Chartered Spree Card product summary:
- Earn 3% cashback on all online spend in foreign currency and vPost spend
- Earn 2% cashback on all online spend in local currency, contactless and mobile payments
- No minimum spend required to start earning cashback
- 30% off vPost shipping fees
- Income requirement: S$30,000 (Singaporeans/PR), S$60,000 (Foreigners)
- Minimum age: 21
- Annual fee: S$192.60 (first two years fee waiver)
|3% cashback on all online spend in foreign currency and vPost spend||Cashback is capped at S$30 per statement month|
|2% cashback on all online spend in local currency, contactless and mobile payments|
|1% cashback on all other spend|
|No minimum spend required to start earning cashback|
|Lock+Store storage, SmartPac and SingPost savings|
|Enjoy offers and privileges for online, dining, retail and more with The Good Life®|
Why should you get the Standard Chartered Spree Card
#1 Up to 3% shopping cashback
The Standard Chartered Spree Card gives you up to 3% cashback not only on your shopping basket, but also savings when you choose to ship via vPost.
And if you ran out of storage space (or more likely, your new home isn’t quite ready to receive that sofa set that got delivered early), you will also find 15% off storage units at Lock + Store, as well as discounts on Smartpac solutions.
Here are all the savings the SCB Spree Card can give you at a glance.
|Shopping cashback||– 3% on all online transactions in foreign currency|
– 2% on all online transactions in local currency, all contactless and mobile payments
– 1% all other retail transactions
|Shipping savings||– 10% off selected SingPost services and purchases|
– 30% off shipping fees for standard air shipments to Singapore with vPost
– 3% cashback on vPost transactions
– 5% off selected SmartPac purchases
|Storage savings||– 15% off Lock+Store storage units|
#2 It’s created for active online shoppers
The Standard Chartered Spree Card seems to offer the best value to those who frequently shop online and pay in foreign currencies. This will give you the highest cashback of 3% on your purchases.
However, savvy credit card users will know that each time you pay in a currency other than SGD, you’ll be subject to a foreign transaction fee – in this case 3.5% of the SGD equivalent of your transaction.
So, are you actually paying 0.5% extra when you pay in foreign currency? The answer is “no”. Let’s say your transaction costs S$100 after conversion. You are charged 3.5% in Foreign Transaction Fee, or S$3.50, which brings your total charges up to S$103.50. You’ll earn 3% cashback on the entire S$103.50.
If you prefer to shop at local websites, you’ll earn 2% cashback on your purchases. Meanwhile, for all other retail transactions (ie, at brick-and-mortar shops), you’ll collect 1% in cashback.
No matter how you spend, the maximum cashback you can earn is S$30 per month – or S$360 a year.
But even better, there’s no minimum spend amount required, so you’ll be rewarded with cashback from the first dollar you spend.
#3 Enjoy savings when you ship, send and store
Another feature veteran online shoppers will find attractive is the savings this card gives you for shipping, parceling and storage solutions.
The most generous of these is the 15% discount you can get when you rent a storage unit from Lock+Store (useful if you’re planning to renovate your house, or if you’re a landlord juggling multiple properties for tenants with different needs).
You’ll also find savings at SingPost (10% off selected services, including SpeedPost Priority International Service), SmartPac (5% off selected purchases) and vPost (30% discount off standard shipment using promo code SPREESP, plus 3% cashback).
All these savings are useful for hobbyists who like to trade with an international community of collectors.
#4 Other perks
The Standard Chartered Spree Card gives you access to a plethora of The Good Life® offers and privileges across dining, shopping, lifestyle and travel categories.
Apart from storage and shipping discounts, this card also lets you enjoy up to 20% savings when you pump at Caltex — great if you drive on the regular.
Who should get the Standard Chartered Spree Card?
The Standard Chartered Spree Card could be for you if you shop online frequently in both foreign currency and local currency.
It’s also a great pick if you want to earn easy 2% cashback on all mobile and contactless payments without having to meet any minimum spend criteria!
Of course, those who use vPost, Lock+Store, SmartPac and SingPost services will appreciate the extra savings this card offers.
Fees and charges
Here are the fees and charges you could incur with the Standard Chartered Spree Card.
- Annual fee: S$192.60 (first two years fee waiver)
- Late payment charge: S$100
- Minimum monthly payment: 1% of current balance or S$50, whichever is higher, plus any overdue amounts
- Overlimit fee: S$40 if the total outstanding card balance exceeds the total credit limit at any time
- Interest on purchases: 26.9% per annum subjected to compounding if full payment is not made by payment due date
- At least 21 years of age
- Minimum annual income for Singapore citizens and PRs: S$30,000
- Minimum annual income for foreigners: S$60,000
How to apply?
Click on the ‘Apply Now’ button on this page and complete the application form on SingSaver site. You might need to prepare the following documents for the application process:
- Front and back of NRIC/Passport/Employment Pass
- Salaried employees: Past 12 months CPF statement (Singaporean/PR) or latest Income Tax Notice of Assessment and latest original computerised payslip
- Self-employed: Latest Income Tax Notice of Assessment and latest original computerised payslip
Read These Next:
All the Starbucks Promotions in Singapore
All the Different Grab Rides You Can Use With Your S$150 Voucher
Best Cashback Credit Cards In Singapore
Top Credit Card Promotions And Deals On SingSaver (2021)
Credit Card Comparison: DBS Live Fresh vs UOB YOLO vs OCBC FRANK
By Alevin Chan
A Certified Financial Planner with a curiosity about what makes people tick, Alevin’s mission is to help readers understand the psychology of money. He’s also on an ongoing quest to optimize happiness and enjoyment in his life.