The Citi Cash Back Card (formerly the Citi DIVIDEND Card), claims to be the best cash back card in town. Here’s what we honestly think.
Credit card promotions, terms, and conditions valid as of 19 April 2016.
If you’re like most Singaporeans, you probably visit your favourite restaurant or supermarket several times a week. And if you own a car, your wallet bleeds heavily every time you fill your tank. Wouldn’t it be great to save a little on things you normally spend on?
Enter the Citi Cash Back Card, which promises an attractive 8% cash back on petrol, dining, and groceries. This well-rounded card seems perfect for Singaporeans who own cars and spend quite a bit of money on food. But with such a high earn rate, you have to wonder what the catch is.
Here’s what we really think about this card, and why you should (or shouldn’t) get it.
Basic Card Features
- 8% cash back at supermarkets and grocery stores worldwide. This means you can save even more when you cross the Johor Causeway to take advantage of cheaper groceries!
- 8% cash back at restaurants and cafes worldwide. Whether in Singapore or overseas, you can indulge in great food without burning a hole in your wallet.
- Up to 20.88% petrol savings. Car owners, rejoice – the Citi Cash Back card works as a petrol card too! Save up to 20.88% at Esso, up to 20.8% at Shell and 8% cash back at all other petrol stations
- 0.25% cash back on all other spend
What’s Great About the Citi Cash Back Card
- High cash back earn rate. You don’t always see an 8% cash back rate on a credit card, at least not with a million strings attached. While there’s definitely some fine print you need to be aware of, earning the 8% cash back as straightforward as using your card at supermarkets, restaurants, and petrol stations.
- Cash back never expires. There’s no pressure to redeem your cash back, because all cash back earned never expires.
- Hassle-free redemption. Once you reach S$50 or more cash back each month, your cash back automatically gets credited to your statement in multiples of S$10.
- Access to Citibank Gourmet Pleasures dining programme. This programme grants exclusive privileges like free dishes and 10-20% off your total bill at Singapore’s trendiest restaurants and bars. As a bonus, the 8% dining cash back applies on top of these discounts, allowing you to save even more when you dine out! Plus, simply having this card gives you access to all the Citibank buffet promotions in 2016.
- Access to Citi Privileges. This includes 10% rebate at over 700 merchants, 5% cash back on all flights and bookings made through Expedia, complimentary travel insurance when you charge your travel tickets to your Citi Cash Back Card, and 5% cash back on all online shipping charges.
The Fine Print
- S$888 minimum monthly spend. Here’s the first catch: an S$888 minimum monthly spend is required to receive cash back. Fortunately, the minimum spend isn’t limited to groceries, dining, and petrol; other retail spend counts too.
- Cashback is capped at $$25 per category. Something’s gotta give when you have such a high earn rate. In this case, that something is the S$25 cap per category per month. It’s worth noting that the 8% cashback earned is made up of 0.25% base cash back and 7.75% bonus cash back. The 7.75% bonus cash back on dining, groceries, and petrol is capped at S$25 per category.
- You need to be a member of Esso Smiles or Shell Escape to get maximum petrol cashback. 20.88% savings at Esso is comprised of 5% Esso site discount, 5% Esso Smiles discount, 4% Citibank Card discount, 8% Citi Cash Back (applies after Esso discount). 20.8% savings at Shell is comprised of 5% Shell site discount, 5% Shell Escape discount, 4% Citi Rebate (applies after Shell discount), 8% Citi Cash Back (applies after Shell discount).
Your Savings Per Month
Despite the cash back cap, you can save a significant amount when you use your card strategically. Here’s an illustration of your monthly savings with the Citi Cash Back card, assuming you spend S$450 on petrol, S$200 on dining, and S$250 on groceries in a month.
|Monthly Spend||Base Cash Back (0.25%)||Bonus Cash Back (7.75%)||Total Savings|
Should You Get the Citi Cash Back Card?
Overall, the Citi Cash Back Card is a great card for families, especially if you own a car and drive the kids all over the island for school and extracurriculars. Foodies will also appreciate the high return on dining, as well as those who cook several meals each week.
The Citi Cash Back Card is also perfect for busy professionals who don’t have time to cook or do groceries. You can save a lot on lunches and dinners out with this card.
If you fit into one of these profiles and want to cut costs on your monthly spend, this card is certainly worth a look.
Prefer a different credit card? Use SingSaver.com.sg’s free tools to compare cashback credit cards in Singapore.
Read This Next:
By Lauren Dado
Lauren is the Content Manager at SingSaver.com.sg. When she’s not helping people save time and money, she’s doing yoga, hunting for bargains, and scoring travel deals.