Tap on these free tools to optimise your YouTube channel and increase your viewership.
YouTube is one of the most-visited websites, making it the perfect place to earn an income. Whether you are a new or established business, YouTube is a critical tool for building an audience, promotion and driving growth. The good thing about YouTube is that there is something for everyone.
Businesses can use YouTube to educate, advertise, market and promote products. Whatever the industry, you can curate your YouTube channel to the advantage of your business. This article looks at how to effectively use YouTube Studio to grow your channel and earn a decent income.
What is YouTube Studio?
YouTube Studio is the dashboard that helps you manage your channel. It's more like the backend of your channel where you carry out management duties. The studio is accessible from any device, and it has several tools to help you run the channel.
At the studio, you will add and manage videos, analyse how each video is performing, respond to comments and make money from ads. You can measure and assess how your videos are performing. After checking the performance, you can better optimise your videos.
In addition to managing the videos, you can work with the various tools at the dashboard. This makes it easier to improve and manage your content. You will find the following tools in the studio:
- Analytics and information on the latest videos, recent subscribers, news and the creator insider section.
- Content, which was previously the video manager feature, helps keep track of all your videos.
- Playlist helps you organise, create and edit your playlists.
- The Copyright section is where you request copyrighted material removed from YouTube.
- The Comments section helps you build and manage engagement with your community.
- Subtitles management – crucial as subtitles may help retain and engage viewers more.
- Monetisation is where you plan how to add extra dollars to your pocket.
- Customisation is the branding section.
- The Audio Library is where you get free music and sound effects.
How to find YouTube Studio
It’s easy to find YouTube Studio. You can find the channel dashboard in two ways.
Go directly to YouTube Studio and access your dashboard.
- Go to YouTube and navigate to your profile picture.
- Click on the picture and look for the YouTube Studio option at the dropdown menu.
- Click on it and it will take you to the dashboard.
How to manage your YouTube channel using the studio
YouTube Studio has different tools to help you get the best returns from your investment of time and effort. The tools will help you leverage your channel and earn an income. These are ways that you can use the studio tools to manage and grow your audience:
YouTube Studio dashboard
It gives you an overview of your channel. In this section, you get information on how your channel is performing and suggestions on earning more money. Here is what you can expect from the dashboard –
- Information on the latest video
You will see information on the latest video and stats such as views, duration viewed and watch time.
- Recent subscribers
You get to see info on new subscribers gained in the last 28 days.
- Industry news
The dashboard also gives you information on the latest news.
- Creator insider
It keeps you updated on the latest bug fixes, tech updates and more information on what is currently happening.
- Channel analytics
It gives you information on how the channel is performing.
- Ideas for you
This is the perfect place to get ideas on how to improve your channel.
The analytics section is where you determine the return on your investment. Check the analytics to see how each video is performing and how you can make improvements. The analytics section will help you increase views and engagement. In doing so, you can make more income. Use the following metrics to measure the success of your videos:
- Views your videos have received in a specified timeframe
- The average amount of time subscribers spend watching videos
- The number of subscribers you have on your channel
- Video traffic sources
- The location of the video viewers
- How many of your subscribers watch the videos
- How subscribers found your channel
- The number of people who have viewed your playlists
- The devices the viewers are using
If you click on "See more" for each metric, you get more information. The information you will get includes:
- The number of times a video thumbnail was shown to a user
- Impression clickthrough rate: how many times the viewer goes on to watch a video after seeing an impression
- The number of views each video received
The analytics tool shows how well each video is performing and gives ideas on how you can increase viewers and, in turn, make money.
Content (previously video manager)
The content feature helps organise all your videos in one place. In this section, you will see the likes, dislikes, comments and publishing dates.
This section of the studio is also where you edit the videos. You can edit the following:
- Tags and the title
- Description and thumbnail
- Filename and visibility
- The playlist and the final screen
Use the advanced tab to edit the following:
- Date and location of video recording
- Licences and rights ownership
- Syndication and categories
- Video language and caption information
- Subtitles and age restrictions
- Choice of paid promotion
- Embed permission
YouTube Studio community
The comments section lets you see how people feel about your content. You will get to see the comments arranged chronologically. Under each comment, you get to see the name of the person who wrote it, the time of posting, and the option to comment, dislike and like it.
It’s in this section that you can remove and report abusive comments. You can choose to approve comments from certain users. In addition, you can remove comments that you feel are spam.
Adding captions and subtitles to your videos keeps the audience more engaged. These are especially important if the viewer is in a noisy or private place and they want to watch the video. You can make your content more accessible by adding captions and subtitles in this section.
YouTube Studio audio library
YouTube Studio provides free music you can use for your videos. Tracks are organised by genre, mood, duration, and many more categories. You can also download sound effects for use in your videos.
When using music or sound effects, it's good practice to give credit to the owner of the music. It shows your business values collaboration.
The monetisation section will earn you more dollars. By becoming a YouTube partner and monetising your videos, you increase your chances of earning more money. To become a partner, you must:
- Have over 1,000 subscribers.
- Your videos must have gained over 4,000 watch hours in the last 12 months.
- Live in a country where a partner programme is approved.
- The account should not have any community strikes.
- Link your channel to an AdSense account.
Under monetisation, you have several options you can use to make money. Such options include selling merchandise, running advertisements, and premium channel subscriptions.
In the customisation tab, you brand your business and make your channel unique. It’s where you ensure branding is clear and that customers can easily pick out your channel. Make sure that your channel is consistent with your other social media platforms.
Under the customisation tab, you will find the following:
- The Layout tab is where you can enhance the appearance of your channel. You can make a trailer video that describes what your audience can expect to find on the channel. You can also highlight a recent video in the featured video section.
- The Branding tab lets you stand out from the rest by adding specific elements that relate to your business. You can add a profile picture, a watermark and a banner image to keep your channel unique.
- The Basic Info tab is where you have information about your business. In this section, you can add social media accounts and links to other platforms.
How to retain an audience on your channel
Video retention measures how long viewers watch the video after they hit play. Tracking audience retention is critical as it shows you at what point the viewer abandons the video. Analyse your video retention using YouTube Studio and see what you can improve to increase viewers' time on your channel. Consider these suggestions on what you can do to increase the retention of your viewers:
- Create engaging video introductions that pique the interest of the viewer.
- Give the audience a brief outline of what they should expect.
- Make it enjoyable by changing the camera's angle, and using music and high-quality visuals.
- Keep your videos clear and concise.
- Post videos consistently.
- Quickly deliver valuable information.
- Use keywords in your videos.
- Make use of subtitles and captions.
How to earn more income from your channel
It’s possible to make a significant amount of money from YouTube. Your audience will unlock the earning potential of your channel, but it pays to have multiple streams of income. Here are the strategies you can use to earn more money from YouTube:
- Join the YouTube partner programme and set up monetisation.
- Sell products or merchandise on your channel.
- Tap on affiliate marketing.
- License your content to the media in return for money.
- Work with brands as an influencer.
- Offer paid subscriptions for exclusive content.
YouTube Studio has fantastic tools to help you create high-quality videos that are beneficial to your audience. Leverage the tools and come up with videos that appeal to your fan base, and that will also earn you an income. The good thing is that there is no limit to how much you can make from your channel.
To keep your income consistent, make sure you stay up to date with algorithms and trends and refresh your content often.
Grow your wealth by investing the earnings from your YouTube channel in Singapore stocks. Check out our comparison of the best investment brokerage accounts for Singapore stocks.
Read these next:
How Much Money Does a YouTuber in Singapore Earn?
5 Best Monetisation Platforms For Content Creators
8 YouTubers To Follow For Home Workouts (HIIT, Yoga, Cardio And More)
Spotify vs Apple Music vs YouTube Music – Comparison Guide (2022)
6 SkillsFuture Courses Worth Spending Your $1,000 Credits On
Music Streaming Services In Singapore – Tidal, YouTube Premium, Spotify, KKBox
Will 2022 Be The Year of Streaming Stocks?
Why Being a Social Media Influencer May Not be the Best Part-time Job