Protect your holiday against any mishaps by learning to compare and buy the best travel insurance in Singapore that’s right for you.Imagine this: You’ve been working hard and have been looking forward to your well-deserved holiday for months. Just one week before your flight, your holiday destination is hit by a natural disaster. Looking at images of devastation on TV, you know instinctively it makes sense to either postpone or cancel your trip. Or maybe midway through your vacation, you or your travel buddy lose or damage costly items or end up being hospitalised due to injury or ailment. Or, for any number of reasons, you end up missing or having to delay your flight home. That's precisely why you buy travel insurance in Singapore.
1. Single trip or annual policyAre you planning to make multiple trips a year? It may be more cost-effective to opt for an annual travel insurance policy which covers unlimited trips over 12 months. Look out for any restrictions such as the maximum number of days covered per trip. But if you’re not a frequent traveller, it makes sense to stick to a single trip policy.
2. Personal or family policyIf you’re travelling with relatives or kids in tow, compare travel insurance promotions which cover the entire family. Research the age limits of coverage for seniors’ travel insurance to ensure they get the required protection. Like personal plans, family plans are also available as single trip or annual policies. Read this: Why Multiple Travel Insurance Policies Can Be Better Than A Single Group Policy
3. Extreme sports and activitiesConsider the nature of your trip: are you planning to take it easy or are you a thrill seeker? Will you be bungee jumping, white-water rafting or mountain climbing? Most standard travel insurance plans don't cover high risk activities but there are some designed specifically to cater to the intrepid adventurer -- it all depends on your travel bucket list! Read this: Best Travel Insurance Plans for Adventure Seekers
4. Expensive gear and equipmentTravelling with expensive smartphones, tablets, laptops or video cameras? Make sure your travel insurance policy covers such expensive equipment in case of loss or theft. Many travel insurance plans have a per-item value limit so ensure the sum is adequate enough to cover the actual cost.
5. Rental vehicle and motorbike hirePlanning an epic cross-country roadtrip or intend to rent a motorbike? Then look for a travel insurance promotion in Singapore that offers rental vehicle excess coverage. As a foreigner driving in unfamiliar country and foreign traffic rules, get a plan that covers the high excess fees if you happen to damage your rental car. This could potentially save you thousands of dollars. Read this: Driving to Malaysia? Travel Insurance May Be More Important than You Think
6. Acts of terrorismIs the political or security situation in your holiday destination unstable? Does it have a history of violent attacks, protests or terrorism-related attacks? Holiday travellers should do their homework and compare travel insurance promotions which cover such contingencies.
7. Trip postponement or cancellationMost people buy travel insurance in Singapore starting only on the day of departure to save cost. But depending on your destination, it might be worth starting your travel insurance plan 3-5 days before your day of departure. Unforeseen circumstances such as the outbreak of disease or natural disasters such as floods or earthquakes could result in your trip having to be postponed or even cancelled. Read this: 6 Times You Wish You Had Bought Travel Insurance
8. Medical expenses and emergency repatriationLife can be unpredictable. While dipping in sparkling waters off the beach, you get stung by a jellyfish. Or while hiking through rural areas, you get chased and bitten by wild dogs with rabies. In such a scenario, ending up in a local hospital could burn a hole through your wallet. Quality treatment at medical facilities in foreign-run hospitals or clinics can run up hefty hospitalisation and treatment costs. Hence, compare travel insurance promotions that adequately cover the high medical-care expenses incurred. Under extreme circumstances when there is an urgent need for medical evacuation or repatriation back to Singapore or nearby countries with better medical facilities, getting policies with adequate coverage will save you from spending an astronomical sum. Check the fine print for medical expenses coverage, especially for injuries that require an extended period of recovery or even physiotherapy. Read this: Zoe Tay, Li Nanxing Teach Us The Importance of Travel Insurance
9. 24-hour worldwide assistance and supportGoing for the cheapest travel insurance is not always your best option. Never underestimate the importance of getting travel insurance coverage from a reputable insurer. Services which include 24-hour worldwide assistance, a reliable hotline, emergency and crisis-response capabilities are critical when you need it most. Another vital consideration is the ease of making and processing claims promptly, as exemplified by this highly publicised case of a Singaporean who tried to make a travel insurance claim for a 24-hour flight delay.
10. Is your sum insured adequate?What’s considered an adequate sum? This can be quite subjective. One way is to gauge the potential expenses or financial losses you’d incur if you don’t have a travel insurance plan. Usually, most insurance companies offer two plans – basic and superior. A simple calculation and comparison of the premium against the coverage will help you decide if paying a slightly higher premium is worth it. If the coverage is significantly higher with another insurer, then by all means, go for the one that covers more bases. It is also worth noting that if you're holding your wedding or pre-wedding photoshoot overseas, you will need to check that your travel insurance offers gown and/or jewellery coverage. Most basic plans exclude this, so be sure to get extra coverage as necessary! Read this: 10 Travel Bucket List Experiences That You Should Buy Travel Insurance For
Compare and apply for the best travel insurance on SingSaverAs you plan your epic holiday, remember the cheapest travel insurance plan is not always the best policy. Rather, compare and apply for the travel insurance that best fits your need. Also remember to check out monthly travel insurance promotions and discounts to get the best deals. And though it can take a little time, always read the fine print (terms and conditions) carefully! At SingSaver, we offer a free and easy one-stop service that compares all the travel insurance promotions on the market or checkout SingSaver review on Best Travel Insurance in Singapore 2019.
Protected up to specified limits by SDIC.
Note: This is only product information provided. You may wish to seek advice from a qualified adviser before buying the product. If you choose not to seek advice from a qualified adviser, you should consider whether the product is suitable for you. Buying an insurance product that are not suitable for you may impact your ability to finance your future healthcare needs.
If you decide that the policy is not suitable after purchasing the policy, you may terminate the policy in accordance with the free-look provision, if any, and the insurer may recover from you any expense incurred by the insurer in underwriting the policy.
What to read next:7 Steps for Faster Travel Insurance Claims Did You Know These 5 Things Can Be Covered With Travel Insurance? Why Multiple Travel Insurance Policies Can Be Better Than A Single Group Policy Travel Insurance Promotions and Discounts for 2019 6 Times You Wish You Had Bought Travel Insurance
By Zann Huang A recipient of the Magnum Foundation Emergency Grant in 2014, my photos from the Middle East and Asia have also been published in Time Magazine and Le Monde etc. My written work ranges from travel, politics (Mid-East) to the environment and finance-related matters.