If you're looking for a quick and easy way to add some green to your decor, read on to know more about terrariums and where you can buy ready-made terrarium plants in Singapore.
What's a terrarium? A terrarium is a miniature ecosystem in a glass jar. It can be as simple or complex as you like, and it comes in all shapes and sizes. Terrariums are perfect for people who want a garden but don't have the time or space to commit to one. Plus, they make great home decor items.
Related to this topic:
Birthday Treats You Need To Take Advantage Of In Singapore 2022
Maximise Your Annual Leave With Public Holidays For Long Weekends (2022)
Sightseeing, Staycations, Activities: How To Spend Your $100
What's in a terrarium?
A terrarium usually contains soil and plants. The type of plants you put in your terrarium will depend on the type of terrarium you are making. For example, a closed terrarium would require moisture-loving plants, while an open one could have succulents and cacti.
The soil is essential as it helps regulate the moisture levels in the terrarium. It is also a place for the plants to anchor themselves and get their nutrients.
Terrariums usually have three layers: the bottom, middle and top. The bottom layer is for the soil, the middle layer is for the plants, and the top layer is for decoration.
How to make a terrarium?
Making a terrarium is not as hard as it seems. All you need is a container, some soil, plants, and water.
- First, choose a container. It can be anything from a recycled jar to a fish tank.
- Next, add some soil to the bottom of the container. You don't need too much – about an inch or two should do.
- Then, place your plants in the soil. Make sure you leave enough space for them to grow.
- Finally, add some water to the terrarium. Be sure not to add too much, or else you will drown the plants.
What is the purpose of a terrarium?
The purpose of a terrarium is to create an environment where plants can thrive. The sealed glass container traps moisture and heat, providing the perfect conditions for plants to grow.
Almost any plant can be grown in a terrarium as long as it is suited to the conditions inside the container. Some of the most popular plants for terrariums include ferns, mosses and succulents.
Do I need to water a terrarium?
No, you don't need to water a terrarium, especially a closed one, since it creates an environment with high humidity levels. However, if the soil is getting dry, feel free to add a small amount of water using a spray bottle.
Do terrariums last forever?
No, terrariums do not last forever. However, your terrarium can last for many years with the proper care. The key to a long-lasting terrarium is choosing low-maintenance plants and avoiding overwatering.
If you are looking for plants that will thrive in your terrarium for years to come, consider choosing succulents or cacti. These plants are very forgiving and can tolerate a wide range of growing conditions.
When it comes to watering, be cautious. It is much easier to underwater a terrarium than to overwater one. If your plants look wilted or dry, give them a drink, and be careful not to drench them.
It is also essential to avoid placing your terrarium in direct sunlight. Too much sun can quickly dry out the soil and kill your plants.
If you are looking for a hassle-free way to add greenery to your home, consider investing in a ready-made terrarium. These terrariums come with various plants, and you can quickly assemble them. You can find ready-made terrariums at most garden stores or online retailers.
Types of terrariums
There are several types of terrariums, including:
- Open Terrarium: An open terrarium is a clear glass or plastic container with an opening that allows air to circulate. These terrariums require more maintenance than closed terrariums because they are more susceptible to evaporation and water loss.
- Closed Terrarium: A closed terrarium is a sealed glass or plastic container that doesn't allow air to circulate. These terrariums are less susceptible to evaporation and water loss, making them easier to maintain.
- Hanging Terrarium: A hanging terrarium is a clear glass or plastic container that hangs from a hook or chain. Hanging terrariums add vertical interest to a space and can be a focal point.
- Dish Garden Terrarium: A dish garden terrarium is a clear glass or plastic container that holds multiple plants in separate soil-filled dishes or bowls. These types of terrariums are ideal for people who want to grow various plants.
- Botanical Bowl Terrarium: A botanical bowl terrarium is a clear glass or plastic bowl that holds multiple plants. Botanical bowl terrariums are ideal for small spaces because they take up less space than other types of terrariums.
- Mini Terrarium: A mini terrarium is a small clear glass or plastic container that holds one or multiple plants. Mini terrariums are ideal for people who want to grow a small number of plants.
You can find all kinds of terrariums in Singapore, so the only decision you have to make is to choose the right one for your needs.
Types of terrarium plants
There are many types of terrarium plants to choose from, and the best part is that you don't need a green thumb to keep them alive. Here are some of our favourites:
- Succulents: Succulents are plants that store water in their leaves. They come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes, making them a popular choice for terrariums.
- Cacti: Cacti are desert plants that come in all shapes and sizes. They are low maintenance and can tolerate neglect. If you live in a hot climate, cacti make excellent terrarium plants.
- Ferns: Ferns are one of the most popular plants to use in terrariums because they're easy to care for and don't require a lot of light.
- Mosses: Mosses are a type of plant that thrives in moist environments. You can use them to create a miniature garden landscape in your terrarium.
- Ivy: Ivy is a climbing plant that can be used to cover the sides of your terrarium or can hang from the top. It's easy to care for and doesn't require a lot of light.
Where to buy terrarium plants in Singapore
Terrarium plants make excellent houseplants because they don't require much maintenance. All they need is some indirect sunlight and water every few weeks.
If you're looking for a ready-made terrarium in Singapore, here are a few places you can find terrariums for sale:
Save money by using the best credit cards to rack up on cashback, points and miles!
Green Banana is a homegrown plant store that sells various plants, including terrarium plants. They offer a wide range of services, including plant rental and styling, as well as bespoke terrariums.
Address: Havelock ll Mall, 2, Havelock Road, #B1-28, Singapore 059763
Contact: 6225 0818
Crafts for Green
Crafts for Green is an online store specialising in selling succulents and cacti. They have a wide variety of plants to choose from, all of which are affordable.
They also offer free delivery for orders above S$100, so it's a great option if you're looking to buy terrarium plants in Singapore without having to leave your home.
Address: 41 Jln Pemimpin, #05-01 Kong Beng Industrial Building, Singapore 577186
Contact: 9626 6065 (WhatsApp)
J2 Terrarium is one of the best places to buy terrarium plants in Singapore. They have a wide range of ready-made terrarium plants that are perfect for your home or office.
They are widely known for their beautiful and unique terrariums, including the famous "Geometric Terrarium."
Address: A’Posh Bizhub, 1 Yishun Industrial Street 1, #04-06, Singapore 768160
Contact: 9792 4464
Lush Glass Door
Lush Glass Door is a terrarium shop that sells beautiful ready-made terrarium plants. If you're looking to buy a terrarium plant, this is the place to go.
The staff at Lush Glass Door are incredibly knowledgeable and can help you choose the perfect plant for your terrarium. They also have a wide variety of plants to choose from, so you're sure to find one that you love.
Address: 371 Beach Road, City Gate, #02-53, Singapore 199597
Contact: 9751 2407
Lastly, we have InOut Atelier, a homegrown terrarium specialist that offers ready-made plants and materials for sale. They also conduct workshops for adults and kids, so this would be a great place to start if you're new to making terrariums.
With over ten years of experience in the industry, InOut Atelier has a wealth of knowledge and expertise to share with its students.
Address: 11 Syed Alwi Road, Teck Heng Long Building, #03-05, Singapore 207629
Contact: 9843 9998
While shopping for a terrarium, visit SingSaver and get the best shopping credit cards in Singapore. These credit cards will reward you with extra miles, rebates, or reward points.
8 Best (and Budget-friendly) Self-care Routines for Working Mothers
7 Easy Ways to Save Money on Wine
Where Can You Find the Cheapest Acai Bowls in Singapore?
Can Singaporeans Use Money to Buy Happiness?
Fresh Christmas Trees And Where To Find Them In Singapore (2021)
8 Best Plant Nurseries In Singapore For Creating Your Own Indoor Garden
Where to Get the Best Briyani in Singapore?
11 Best Water Dispensers In Singapore 2022 For Instant Purified Water At Home