A great starter card for newbies just starting on their miles chase, the AMEX KrisFlyer card boasts welcome miles, a high miles earn rate on Grab rides and compelling reasons for you to spend on Singapore Airlines.
American Express Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Credit Card (AMEX KrisFlyer), sometimes more affectionately known as the AMEX KrisFlyer Blue card, is a good entry-level air miles card if you’re looking for a fuss-free way to earn KrisFlyer miles with every spend.
A co-branded card by Singapore Airlines, it’s automatically linked to the Singapore Airlines’ Frequent Flyer program. This means no miles conversion fees incurred and no inconvenient conversion processes or conversion blocks.
What the AMEX KrisFlyer credit card can do for you
AMEX KrisFlyer card product summary:
- Local spend: 1.1 KrisFlyer miles per $1 spend
- Overseas spend: 2 KrisFlyer miles per $1 spent overseas on eligible purchases during June and December
- Income requirement: $30,000 (Singaporeans/PR), $60,000 (Foreigners)
- Minimum age: 21
- Annual fee: $176.55 (First year waived)
|5,000 bonus miles on first credit card transaction||Low 1.1 mpd earn rate for local spend and 2 mpd overseas spend applicable during June and December only|
|Automatic transfer of miles to your KrisFlyer account with no fees||Annual fee only waived for first year|
|Earn 2mpd on singaporeair.com, SingaporeAir mobile app and KrisShop (in-flight and online) purchases||No fringe benefits such as complimentary airport lounge access|
|3.1 mpd on Grab rides, capped at $200 each calendar month|
|Free upgrade and 12,000 bonus KrisFlyer miles to AMEX Ascend credit card when you spend $10,000 within the year|
Why should you choose the AMEX KrisFlyer credit card?
#1: Generous welcome bonus miles
Most credit card providers offer an extra reward to newly-approved cardmembers, but what makes AMEX KrisFlyer stand out is its welcome bonus miles. As a new AMEX Singapore Airlines credit card applicant, you receive 5,000 KrisFlyer miles the very first time you charge to the card — it’s as simple as that!
You also receive another 5,000 KrisFlyer miles with a minimum spend of $3,000 in your first three months.
#2 For the love of Singapore Airlines
Earn 2 mpd on eligible purchases made on singaporeair.com, SingaporeAir mobile app and KrisShop (in-flight and online). What makes this offering a cut above the rest is the unlimited feature that does not limit the miles you can earn. There is also no conversion fee involved as KrisFlyer miles are credited directly into your KrisFlyer membership account.
If you’re a big spender, you receive $150 cashback on your next purchase on singaporeair.com when you spend at least $12,000 on eligible purchases with your card between 1 July 2020 to 30 June 2021.
#3 Speed up your miles chase with your Grab rides
Earn 3.1 KrisFlyer miles for every $1 spent on Grab rides, capped at $200 each calendar month with no minimum spend required. That works out to 7,400 KrisFlyer miles annually if you spend the maximum $200 on Grab rides each month. You also get 500 bonus KrisFlyer miles on Grab for your first Grab booking.
#4 For those eyeing the AMEX KrisFlyer Ascend card
The AMEX KrisFlyer Ascend card treats you to four free complimentary lounge passes and a one-night stay at a Hilton property. However, it requires an annual income of $50,000 for Singaporeans to apply. With the AMEX KrisFlyer card, you can earn yourself a free upgrade to the AMEX Ascend card, even if you don’t earn $50,000 a year. All you have to do is to be an AMEX KrisFlyer cardmember for a minimum of nine months and spend a minimum of $10,000 within 12 consecutive months.
What’s more, you can receive a bonus 12,000 KrisFlyer miles upon your upgrade to the KrisFlyer Ascend credit card!
SingSaver’s Exclusive Offer: Receive an ErgoTune Classic (worth S$399) or $180 cash when you make a minimum spend of S$500 within the first month of card approval. Valid till 31 July 2021. T&Cs apply. Apply now!
For whom is the AMEX KrisFlyer card best for?
The AMEX KrisFlyer credit card is best for those looking to kickstart their miles journey, or those who don’t foresee themselves flying on anything else except our national carrier, Singapore Airlines. A good starter card that ticks all the boxes of a beginner miles card, the AMEX KrisFlyer card comes with solid bonus miles and is primed for those looking to upgrade to the AMEX KrisFlyer Ascend card.
What charges or fees should you look out for?
- Annual fee: $176.55 (First year waived)
- Late payment charge: $90 per month
- Minimum monthly payment: 3% of current balance or $50, whichever is higher, plus any overdue amounts
- Interest on purchases: 26.90% p.a. compounded if payment of the closing balance in your statement is not made in full; or 29.99% p.a. in the event that your account has three or more defaults and/or one default which remains unpaid for two or more consecutive months in the last 12 months
- Interest on cash advance: 26.90% p.a. compounded daily from date of withdrawal until the withdrawal amount and the relevant fees are paid in full
- At least 21 years of age
- Minimum annual income for Singapore citizens and PRs: $30,000
- Minimum annual income for foreigners: $60,000
How to apply?
Click on the ‘Apply Now’ button on this page and complete the application form on SingSaver site. You might need to prepare the following documents for the application process:
- Front and back of NRIC/Passport/Employment Pass
- Salaried employees: Past 12 months CPF statement (Singaporean/PR) or latest Income Tax Notice of Assessment and latest original computerised payslip
- Self-employed: Latest Income Tax Notice of Assessment and latest original computerised payslip
Read these next:
American Express Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Ascend Review: A Hint Of Luxury For Miles-chasers
Best American Express Credit Cards In Singapore (2020)
American Express True Cashback Card Review (2020): 1.5% Cashback On Just About Everything
Best Air Miles Credit Cards In Singapore (2020)
6 Credit Cards Which Give Free Access to Airport Lounges